The Seattle Saxophone Institute is the only saxophone-specific summer music camp in the Pacific Northwest. There's a place for you here, now let your voice be heard!
Founded in 2015, the Seattle Saxophone Institute provides Pacific NW saxophone students of all levels of ability a saxophone-focused option for summer study. Our goal is to give students the most fun, intensive and focused experience learning about the saxophone possible. The Sax Institute summer music camp is a welcoming environment that emphasizes both instrumental fundamentals and improvisation across classic and modern genres. We work hard to empower students through collaboration and creativity by connecting them with the regions's most inspired saxophone faculty.
What Sets Us Apart
- Low Student-to-Teacher Ratio: We cap our enrollment at twenty students to ensure that each student gets individual attention, can have questions answered, and is playing with students of similar experience and interests. With four coaches, three guest artists, and professional rhythm section, our ratio of students to professional musicians is 2:1!
- Full-Time Saxophone Expertise: At many other summer jazz camps, saxophone students may be spending the majority of their time with teachers of other instruments. By focusing only on the saxophone, our renowned faculty can continuously provide students feedback about saxophone sound and technique concepts. Students will have the opportunity to immediately apply lessons from faculty and guest clinicians in their ensembles.
- Well-Rounded Curriculum: In our first three years, students have learned and performed jazz standards in combo settings, swung classic big-band solis with ease, developed their own conducting language, and performed Charles Mingus melodies as a 12-person supergroup! We held lectures and masterclasses on saxophone reed maintenance, electronics, transcription, tone development, and more! Because we focus on saxophone only, our camp provides students with more opportunities for developing a broad range of skills while honing in the all-important playing fundamentals. All playing styles are welcomed and encouraged!
- Professional Rhythm Section: Each student gets to rehearse and perform with a trio of some of Seattle's most in-demand professional musicians. This gives our students the opportunity to immediately apply their newfound confidence with skilled artist-teachers who will support and further their performance experience. Students wishing to pursue a jazz curriculum have an opportunity to work with these professionals individually as well.
- Real-World Performance Opportunity: We don't hold our last performance in a school in the afternoon, but in a storied public Seattle jazz venue. 2017's concerts at the Royal Room jazz club in Seattle's Columbia City neighborhood were performed to sold-out crowds! Our 2018 camps will also feature an optional jam session and concert opportunity for interested students on the Tuesday night of each camp week, as well as a return to the Royal Room for the final camp showcase.
What People Have Said
"I really enjoyed the camp, and it really helped me define my style of playing, and what sound I wanted to get out of the saxophone. It was a wonderful learning experience, and overall greatly improved my playing ability." - Amy, 10th Grade